Iran condemned European powers including Britain, France and Germany for their joint statement regarding negotiations to revive the 2015 nuclear deal. Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson said that it was “regrettable” that the three European powers issued such an “unconstructive” statement .
Iran on Saturday slammed three European powers — Britain, France and Germany — for their joint statement regarding negotiations to revive the 2015 nuclear deal. Iran’s Foreign Ministry described the statement as “unconstructive” and “regrettable”, reported news agency AFP.
Iranian foreign ministry spokesperson said that it was “regrettable” that the three European powers issued such an “unconstructive” statement at a time when there were diplomatic interactions and exchanges of messages underway to finalise the negotiations.
Earlier on Saturday, the European powers raised questions about Tehran‘s seriousness in finalising the nuclear agreement. They also warned Iran that its position could jeopardise prospects of restoring the deal.
France, Germany and Britain in the joint statement said Iran’s latest demand in negotiations towards a deal raises “serious doubts” regarding its intentions and commitment to a successful outcome on the Joint Comprehensive Plan of Action (JCPOA).
Meanwhile, the talks aimed at reviving the deal reached an impasse as the United States and Iran failed to resolve differences. The negotiations to revive the accord began in April 2021. The deal was near revival in March this year, but talks failed as Iran wanted that the US should remove its elite Revolutionary Guards from the Foreign Terrorist Organization (FTO] list.
Till now two rounds of indirect talks with the mediation of the European Union were held between the two countries. However, they remained inclusive. Last month, the US said that Iran dropped some of its demands that were holding up the revival of the accord.
As per US officials, Iran dropped its demand to block UN inspections of its nuclear plants and also relaxed on one of its main demands of removing its powerful Revolutionary Guards from a terrorism blacklist.
The deal was signed in 2015 in Vienna, between Iran and the five permanent members of the United Nations Security Council – China, France, Russia, United Kingdom, United States, the European Union and Germany. However, in 2018, the US pulled out of the agreement.
Source : Times Now News